Friday, March 4, 2016

Higher Ground


I enjoyed this week’s reading. Something that I thought was particularly appropriate was Elder Wirthlin’s talk, “Journey to Higher Ground”. In it he talks about pride and how no matter how successful we get we need to rise above it and stay humble. The quote below stood out to me as I read:
“There is something about prosperity that brings out the worst in some people. In the book of Helaman, we learn of one group of Nephites who experienced great loss and slaughter. Of them we read, “And it was because of the pride of their hearts, because of their exceeding riches, yea, it was because of their oppression to the poor, withholding their food from the hungry, withholding their clothing from the naked, and smiting their humble brethren upon the cheek, making a mock of that which was sacred, [and] denying the spirit of prophecy and of revelation.”
I thought this went right in line with everything that we have been learning in this class about how to be successful entrepreneurs. It is so important to stay humble and remember what this life is really about. I can see how easy it would be to be prideful about the success in our lives but I know how wrong that is. If we are blessed with more than what we need to sustain ourselves, it is our obligation to help others. I think it’s as simple as that.
Regarding my business for the $100 challenge, I am working on marketing. So far word of mouth has been the easiest thing to do. I read on one of the blogs that I am following that it is smart to start advertising with the group of people that you know and with whom trust is already established. That has proven to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment