Friday, April 1, 2016

A Safe Place to Admit Failure


As I read “Strategies For Learning From Failure” I was fascinated by the idea of creating an environment that is safe to admit failure. According to the article it takes “strong leadership” to create such an environment. I thought about my time in the corporate world (10+ years) and I would not say that we had this type of culture. As difficult as it was I still always admitted my mistakes, I found that if I came forward and admitted to failure the consequences were less severe and in some cases even positive. One of the results was that I became a trusted member of my team because people knew that if I failed I would not try to hide it or blame anyone else but I would own up to it and try to do better next time. Money can’t buy the kind of trust honesty can bring. I think as subordinates we can do our part by admitting our mistakes but I agree with what the article states, “Only leaders can create and reinforce a culture that counteracts the blame game and makes people feel both comfortable with and responsible for surfacing and learning from failures,” This actually made me think about myself as a leader in my household. Am I creating an environment where it is safe to admit failure? I am so glad to have read this article. I am going to discuss this with my husband and find things that we can do to make sure our kids feel safe in admitting their mistakes and where we can help them learn from those failures.

Regarding my $100 project, I thought it was very beneficial to put together a narrated presentation and then get feedback from the class. I received some very helpful comments from my classmates. I really liked the question, “What would you do if you had more time?” That really helped me ponder and think through what I would do with my project if I truly intended to make it a large successful business. I signed up for B383 next semester and if I have a similar assignment, I think I will try to take this business to the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment